Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas




Tuesday Dec 7
I am thankful for Christmas. It is my favorite holiday. I LOVE everything about Christmas with one exception. I love the music, lights, decorations, smells, treats, parties and on and on. I love Santa. He embodies for me the service we do for one another. Heavenly Father expects us to do for others and Santa is the best example I know. I have a santa collection, and my favorite is santa kneeling at the manger. I know Santa would be the first to follow Christ. All this being said I HATE Christmas Day. It entails a lot of work, stress, frustration, and way too much money. On my recent vacation we took the boys to lego land and said they could pick out one item to keep. They searched carefully and each came up with their item. Both boys were happy for days with the $10.00 toy they had chosen. I hate that on Christmas this can't be so. Everybody gets so many things that most are disregarded. Much ends up in the trash a few days later. If I could find a way to simplify and make it more of a celebration of Christ I would. In the Christmas Devotional, Elder U (sp) talked about The Grinch, and said we all probably feel a little like this and talked of ways to make it better. I Love the Savior and want to follow him. I know he was born in manger, and is the Son of GOD. I know he walked the areas of Judea and performed miracles, and taught the people of Heavenly Father . I know he suffered in Gethsemane(sp) for my sins, as well as everyone else's. I know he hung on the cross so that we could all live again after we die. I believe this with all my heart. I know he later came to the Americas and taught the people here. I have all my life wondered what it would have been like to have been there when he blessed the children. Now knowing all this, I must begin today to make it the holiday I want it to be and not necessarily the one the world might expect. I will begin first off today to read Luke Chapter 2. Then I will follow up with 3rd Nephi. I'm open for any help I can get as I try to find Christmas this year.

3 comments:

motherofangels said...

Hey mom, wow... I love all this posting from you. Keep it up!

And hey, I too hate christmas day, funny right? This year is going to be great. A few things for the girls. But my friend and I already decided on NO big christmas dinner. I loved the talks from the devotional and got a lot out of them.

I can't wait to be old and grey... to wake up Christmas morning, turn on Nora's Christmas Gift, then Mr. Kreugers Christmas and get lost in the true spirit of Christmas. The Saviour!

I say for now, down grade a little bit at a time and watch a Christ centered Christmas movie on Christmas Day!

Elizabeth Schatz said...

Fran! I found you! Thanks for commenting today. I hope your cinnamon rolls don't look like Play Dough. (Clara told me:)) I'm so glad you blog.

We are lucky in some ways that we don't have Family around for Christmas...Christmas day is just opening presents and relaxing. Zero expectation from the kids as far as food. Maybe try and make New Year's the big Food Celebration Day, and let Costco take care of Christmas Day? Isn't Christmas day supposed to be your reward for running around like a chicken with your head cut off for four weeks? Good Luck-I'm cheering for you!

Elizabeth Schatz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Followers